Offshore production plants of any type are typically noisy. Mechanical equipment, pumps, pipes, and valves generate noise that can rise to uncomfortable levels and may exceed restrictions for workers at the plant. For unmanned facilities this only becomes an issue on occasions when personnel are present for activities such as periodic maintenance.
Equinor, the Seeker for this Challenge, is interested in two types of solutions for this Challenge;
- The first are typical Ideation level solutions encompassing creative new ideas and concepts to reduce noise experienced by workers performing periodic maintenance at unmanned production plants.
- The second are eRFP (electronic Request-for-Partners) type solutions from potential suppliers or partners with new low-noise equipment and solutions for use at such plants.
This is an Ideation Challenge with a guaranteed award for at least one submitted solution.
Equinor is searching for innovative ideas and concepts, as well as low-noise equipment and solutions that can reduce noise on unmanned plants while workers are present.
Noise in offshore production plants can often be attributed to two primary sources. Equipment such as pumps, compressors, and cooling fans generate mechanical noise while pipes are also a major contributor to the overall noise at a plant. The noise is generated by noisy equipment and pressure drop or cavitation from valves and orifices and transferred to piping which emits the noise into the surrounding areas. Standard methods of noise abatement include temporary or permanent enclosures around equipment as well as acoustic insulation on pipes, valves, and flanges, but these measures lead to difficulties in performing maintenance and may lead to corrosion under the insulation. These drawbacks are even greater for situations where there is limited time and personnel to perform maintenance such as at unmanned offshore production platforms.
Equinor is interested in two types of solutions for this Challenge. The first are typical Ideation level solutions encompassing creative new ideas and concepts to reduce noise experienced by workers performing periodic maintenance at unmanned production plants, and the second are eRFP (electronic Request-for-Partners) type solutions from potential suppliers or partners with new low-noise equipment and solutions for use at such plants.
For Ideation level solutions there are three award categories with at least one award in each of the following categories (please state which category you are submitting to):
- Equipment noise reduction
- Pipe noise reduction
- Indirect noise reduction.
For eRFP level solutions the award is the potential to supply or partner with Equinor in either of the three ideation categories or a category not listed.
This is an Ideation Challenge, which has the following unique features:
- There is a guaranteed award. The award(s) will be paid to the best submission(s) as solely determined by the Seeker. The total payout will be $15,000, with at least one award being no smaller than $5,000 and no award being smaller than $2,500. At least one award will be made in each category of (1) equipment noise reduction, (2) pipe noise reduction, and (3) indirect noise reduction.
- The Solvers are not required to transfer exclusive intellectual property rights to the Seeker. Rather, by submitting a proposal, the Solver grants to the Seeker a royalty-free, perpetual, and non-exclusive license to use any information included in this proposal, including for promotional purposes.
Submissions to this Challenge must be received by 11:59 PM (US Eastern Time) on 28-JUN-2022.
Late submissions will not be considered.
After the Challenge deadline, the Seeker will complete the review process and make a decision with regards to the Winning Solution(s). All Solvers that submit a proposal will be notified on the status of their submissions; however, no detailed evaluation of individual submissions will be provided.
Employees of Equinor are ineligible to receive an award for this Challenge.
About the Seeker
Equinor is an international energy company committed to long-term value creation in a low-carbon future. Our purpose is to turn natural resources into energy for people and progress for society. Equinor’s portfolio of projects encompasses oil and gas, renewables and low-carbon solutions, with an ambition of becoming a net-zero energy company by 2050. Headquartered in Stavanger (Norway), Equinor is the leading operator on the Norwegian continental shelf. We are present in around 30 countries worldwide. Please see www.equinor.com.
What is InnoCentive?
InnoCentive is the global innovation marketplace where creative minds solve some of the world's most important problems for cash awards up to $1 million. Commercial, governmental and humanitarian organizations engage with InnoCentive to solve problems that can impact humankind in areas ranging from the environment to medical advancements.
What is an InnoCentive Ideation™ Challenge?
An InnoCentive Ideation™ Challenge is a broad question formulated to obtain access to new ideas, similar to a global brainstorm for producing a breakthrough idea or market survey which may include ideas for a new product line, a new commercial application for a current product, or even a viral marketing idea to recruit new customers. Ideation™ Challenge submissions are typically about two written pages, and Seekers receive a non-exclusive, perpetual license to use all submissions.
In an Ideation™ Challenge, Solvers may:
- Submit ideas of their own
- Submit third party information that they have the right to use and further the authority to convey that right and the right to use and develop derivative works to Seekers
- Submit information considered in the public domain without any limitations on use
Solvers should not reveal any confidential information in their submissions. Often the Ideation™ Challenge will be followed by one or more of the other three Challenge types to further develop the ideas and gain Intellectual Property protection when the concept has been well-defined.